Just a little girl qwoping her way through life- in style c:

Saturday, September 8, 2012

DIY STRIPEY JEANS

Hey guys! Sorry for not regularly posting! I've been meaning to, but school has basically killed me Dx
I found some time though, to do a little tutorial!
So I've been seeing a bunch of cool jeans online and stuff, like these:











(ASOS Skinny Jean in Bold Stripe Print #4, Asos.com)

So I've been seeing stripey jeans all over the place! And then I was like. . .Well why can't I do this myself???
And so I did! And after 3 trys, it finally worked! Here is TanzyxT's DIY Tutorial to Stripey Jeans!



MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED
~Jeans (MUST BE 99/100% COTTON)
~Bleach (MAKE SURE THIS IS REGULAR BLEACH)
~Masking Tape (Mine was 1 inch width)
~Scissors
~Outdoor Bucket (Think for cleaning or car washing or something)
~Cardboard
~Paintbrush (or a few that you won't mind throwing away afterwards)

And after you have all of those, you're ready to start!!
Yup and so you start with a lovely pair of jeans that fit and start taping! I taped the first piece down the side seam, and then just measured another inch, and taped there!
And after you get one side done, it should look something like this! Go on to do the other side, then go on to the back.
And once you get both the front and the back taped, its time to start bleaching! I DEFINITELY suggest doing this outside because its smells TERRIBLE. You can do it in your restroom with the fan on, but it still really really stinks. So do it outside, and make sure you get some rubber gloves (like for dishwashing or cleaning) to wear because if you get bleach on you it will NOT FELL GOOD. It burns. Yeah, its not too cool. So after you get all that together, its time to put some cardboard into your jeans. As you can tell my than mangaled boxes below, you basically just cut shapes out of the box to fit in your jeans, just so the bleach doesn't soak through to the other side.  
So now, take your handy dandy bucket and pour a bit of bleach in there. I used a kick board for my knees because kneeling on the driveway hurts. But whatever you need~ So take your paintbrush (and be sure this isn't fancy, because bleach will kill it haha, it'll seriously make the bristles fall out so yeah. Also having a few backup is a good idea) and dip it in the bleach, and start painting! You paint on the dark stripes, and I stopped right before the waistband, but you can do whatever you want. 

So do that for the front and then flip to the back! Its a long process, but its all worth it in the end! Depending on how much the bleach lightens it first, you may want another coat of bleach, but that's all based on what you want. So after you get all the bleach you want done, you take your pair of jeans (I'd rinse out the bucket and put em in there, so you don't track bleach everywhere) and rinse them out! I did it in my mother bathtub because it's considerably larger than mine. After you rinse them out just put them in the washing machine ALONE so bleach doesn't get on anything else. After you wash and dry them, congratulations! You have your own pair of stripey jeans!! 
And a little sneak peak to my first Lookbook post! 
(And yes, those are my DIY'd jeans!!!)







1 comment: